Sunday, September 30, 2018

Tiger Woods: I didnt know if Id ever win again after my injuries

The 14-time Major winner is proud of his achievement after recording first Tour victory for five years

East Lake

The professional rejuvenation of Tiger Woods has delivered moments of personal significance. Last November, when starting out on his latest comeback trail, Woods asserted that he didnt want his two children to only know Dad as a YouTube golfer.

On Sunday, as Woods celebrated his 80th PGA Tour win and first for five years, he again pointed towards what Sam, 10, and Charlie, nine, may think. For so long, Woodss physical torment undermined his everyday life.

I think they understand a little bit of what dad does now, Woods said. I hadnt won any tournaments in which they can remember, so I think this will be a little bit different for them. To be able to have shared what I did with them at the Open this year, I had a chance, I had the lead. They felt it, that atmosphere.

They know what their dad can do on a golf course now. Its not what I used to be able to do. A lot of times they equated golf to pain because every time I did it, I would hurt, and it would cause me more pain. And so now theyre seeing a little bit of joy and seeing how much fun it is for me to be able to do this again.

It is fascinating that Woods has evolved into the peoples golfer, a domain he couldnt possible inhabit after tales of his extra-marital affairs emerged. The tribal scene as Woods strode towards victory was quite the sight. For his own part, Woods is clearly more open and appreciative of support than in his early, dominant days.

It means a lot more to me now in the sense I didnt know if Id ever be out here again playing, doing this again, he said. I dont know, 20 years ago, hell, I thought I was going to play for another 30 years. Thats just the way golf is. You can play until youre 70 years old.

Then, there was a point in time I didnt know if Id ever do this again. So yes, I appreciate it a little bit more than I did because I dont take it for granted that Im going to have another decade, two decades in my future of playing golf at this level.

The scale of Woodss achievement reverberated around golf. Nick Faldo conceded: I was one of many who didnt see this happening again. Jack Nicklaus, whose haul of 18 majors will again flash into Woodss view, offered further praise. I never dreamed Tiger could come back and swing the way he has, after surgery, Nicklaus said. I think you could argue hes swinging better than he has ever in his life. He has played fantastically.

The man himself had previously suggested he would only regard this comeback as complete should he win another major. In the aftermath of his two-stroke success at East Lake, the 42-year-old was of a mind to treasure the journey to this point.

Ive been sitting on 79 for about five years now and to get 80 is a pretty damned good feeling, he said. Just to be able to compete and play again this year, thats a hell of a comeback.

Some of the people very close to me, theyve seen what Ive gone through. Some of the players have seen what Ive gone through, and they know how hard it was just to get back to playing golf again, forget the elite level. Just be able to play golf again and enjoy being with my kids and living that life. And then lo and behold, Im able to do this and win a golf tournament.

Probably the low point was not knowing if Id ever be able to live pain-free again. Am I going to be able to sit, stand, walk, lay down without feeling the pain that I was in? I just didnt want to live that way. This is how the rest of my life is going to be? Its going to be a tough rest of my life. And so I was beyond playing. I couldnt sit. I couldnt walk. I couldnt lay down without feeling the pain in my back and my leg. That was a pretty low point for a very long time.

Justin Rose, who claimed the FedEx Cup and richest prize in golf $10m -with a share of fourth at East Lake offered a message of about time to Woods after the pair collected trophies. In some ways, Im half-joking because hes looked so good this year, and I think that its been a matter of time, Rose explained. I think that weve all been waiting for him to win, and weve all been wanting him to win.

I think its great for the sport, great for the game. He truly moves the needle like no one else out here, and he wins in style. He wins with charisma. Hes brilliant to watch.

The small matter of the Ryder Cup, featuring Woods, is a matter of days away. I think the weekend was a pretty good introduction into the Ryder Cup, for sure, Rose added. Not half.

Original Article : HERE ; This post was curated & posted using : RealSpecific

=>
***********************************************
Post Source Here: Tiger Woods: I didnt know if Id ever win again after my injuries
************************************
=>


Tiger Woods: I didnt know if Id ever win again after my injuries was originally posted by Monthly Mashed 3

No comments:

Post a Comment